GDHI provides a complete home mold inspection services and will taylor the inspection too a specific problem area.(Ask for pricing) Testing will be only recommend when necessary.
To avoid a conflict of interest GDHI does not provide mold remediation services.
Cost: Mold Home Inspection fee $400 / Inspection & Testing $450 includes 1 outdoor air quality test -additional testing $100/test.
Molds are microscopic fungi, a group of organisms that also includes mushrooms and yeasts. Fungi are highly adapted to grow and reproduce rapidly, producing spores and mycelia in the process.
You encounter mould every day. Foods spoil because of mould. Decaying leaves decay and pieces of wood lying on the ground rot due to mould. That fuzzy black growth on wet window sills is mold. Paper or fabrics stored in a damp place get a musty smell that is due to the action of moulds.
Molds can be useful to people. The drug penicillin is obtained from a specific type of mold. Some foods and beverages are made by the actions of molds. The good kinds of molds are selected and grown in a controlled fashion.
Molds are undesirable when they grow where we don’t want them, such as in homes. Over 270 species of mould have been identified as living in Canadian homes. Molds that grow inside may be different from the ones found outdoors.
What makes molds grow?
Molds will grow if we provide them with moisture and nutrients. If we keep things dry, molds do not grow.
High moisture levels can be the result of water coming in from the outside, through the floor, walls or roof; plumbing leaks moisture produced by the people living in the home, through daily activities like bathing, washing clothes or cooking. Water enters the building when there is a weakness or failure in the structure. Moisture accumulates within the home when there is not enough ventilation to expel that moisture.
Different kinds of mold grow on different materials. Certain kinds of mold like an extremely wet environment. Other kinds of mold may be growing even if no water can be seen. Dampness inside the material can be enough to allow them to grow.
Should I be concerned about mould in my home?
Mold should not be permitted to grow and multiply indoors. When this happens, health problems can occur and building materials, goods and furnishings may be damaged.
Can mold make my family sick?
Mold can affect the health of people who are exposed to it. People are mainly exposed to mould by breathing spores or other tiny fragments. People can also be exposed through skin contact with mold contaminants (for example, by touching moldy surfaces and by swallowing it).
The type and severity of health effects that mould may produce are usually difficult to predict. The risks can vary greatly from one location to another, over time, and from person to person.
What symptoms might I see?
The most common health problems caused by indoor mold are allergy symptoms. Although other and more serious problems can occur, people exposed to mold commonly report problems such as:
Are the risks greater for some people?
There is wide variability in how different people are affected by indoor mold. However, the long-term presence of indoor mould growth may eventually become unhealthy for anyone. The following types of people may be affected more severely and sooner than others.